Our parish takes the safeguarding and care of children and vulnerable adults very seriously. Further information click here and below:
St Matthew’s Church complies with the Church of England and Diocese of Southwark‘s policies regarding safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults. A copy of A Safe Church can be found at
All children and adults who may be vulnerable (regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual identity) have the right to equal protection from all types of harm or abuse.
We are committed to promoting and supporting environments which:
- Are youth-friendly and child-friendly and nurture their positive development
- Enable all people to be active contributors to the church community
- Protect all people from actual or potential harm
- Enable and encourage concerns to be raised and responded to openly and consistent
Local contacts available to speak to if you have any concerns
Our Parish Safeguarding Officers are:
Our Church Wardens are:
They can be contacted via the Parish Office on
020 8681 3147 or via the Vicar on
020 8688 5055
Diocesan Safeguarding Team
Office hours – 020 7939 9423
Outside office hours – 020 3874 6743
Other useful contacts
- NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
- Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
- Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
- Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 080 8808 8141 (freephone Monday to Friday 9- 5pm)
LOCAL AUTHORITY CROYDON COUNCIL Children and Adult Services
Tel no 020 8726 6500
IF THERE IS AN IMMEDIATE RISK OR DANGER
PLEASE CONTACT THE POLICE ON 999
Parish of St Matthew Croydon
Safeguarding Policy Promoting a Safer Church
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held on 16th July 2019
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy, our church is committed to:
- promoting a safer environment and culture
- safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church
- responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation
- caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons
- caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons
- responding to those who may pose a present risk to others.
The parish will:
- create a safe and caring place for all
- have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the Incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures
- safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse
- ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish
- display on church premises and on the parish website the details of whom to contact with safeguarding concerns or support needs
- listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse
- take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops’ guidance, including immediately notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies
- offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred
- care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties
- ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practice at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints Carolyn Tweed and Judith Spencer-Gregson the Parish Safeguarding Officers.
Incumbent: Rev Simon Foster
Churchwardens: Stephen Collingwood, Rohini Abhayaratne
Date: 5th August 2021